Wednesday, September 9, 2009

PAX Impressions Round Up


Photobucket
So here’s a bunch of games I played at PAX accompanied by some brief observations. I’ll try and make this quick. GO!

Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii): This one probably deserves its own post, but since it came out today anyway, I don’t have anything to say you can’t read in any full review. Long story short, it’s a 2D side scrolling action game from the good folks that brought you Odin Sphere and Grim Grimoire. One thing that sets it apart from most Wii games is that it’s beautiful. All the characters are well-animated, hand drawn sprites, and the backgrounds look like 3D paintings. I want it.


Gran Turismo (PSP): OMG! Portable Gran Turismo! If you have the tiny hobbit hands required to effectively enjoy PSP games, you are so in luck. Personally, I look at the PSP as more of a delivery system for crippling arthritis than an actual gaming device, so I think I’m going to have to pass on this one. Honestly though, this is truly a portable Gran Turismo and that’s definitely impressive.

Little Big Planet (PSP): I love LBP on PS3 and this seems to be a very solid translation of that. From what I’ve heard, there’s no simultaneous multiplayer in the portable version which is a damn shame since that’s probably my favorite part of the game. I’m not sure what the portable version will offer to keep it from being redundant to owners of the PS3 game, but it definitely looks like a solid product so far. And since the game doesn’t demand lengthy play sessions, I can almost imagine wrapping my mitts around that vile device long enough to play it.

Katamari Forever (PS3): This is such a weird series. The original game was so wildly original in its presentation and concept, but every successive entry fails to innovate in the slightest. This new one is definitely fun, but aside from a few new graphical overlays such as cel-shading that give the game a new look, there doesn’t appear to be much of anything new here. The demo level could have been from any of the previous Katamari games, and a lot of the objects you pick up are repeats too. More like Katamari Whatever! Am I right, people!? High Five.

Lego Rock Band (all consoles): I just watched this one, because waiting in line to play it seemed pointless. It’s family-safe Rock Band for parents who don’t want their kids to play regular Rock Band because they might hear some devil worshipping rock singer cuss a swear (which they edit out of RB tracks anyway) I guess I don’t really get what this is even for, but it isn’t really for me, is it? It has Lego people dancing around in the background, and the little note jewels are now little Lego bricks. Wheeee.

Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS): The new DS Zelda game is basically like the last DS Zelda game, except instead of riding around on a boat, Link now rides around in a train. The previous DS Zelda, Phantom Hourglass, is probably my least favoritest (is so a word) Zelda game and still one of the only Zeldas I haven’t finished. The dungeon portion of the demo featured some new puzzle elements where you control a second character (one of the big knights from Hourglass) and those segments seemed OK, if kind of unremarkable. The train portion of the demo, however, was completely dull. The train controls just like the boat did in Hourglass, except it’s obviously on rails. There was a boss battle in a cave which was also boring. Ho. Hum.

Mass Effect 2 (360): Didn’t get to play it because the lines were so long, but mere words cannot express how much I want this game. That is all.

Brutal Legend (PS3/360): Another game with long lines that forced me to just be a spectator. What I saw though was mostly reassuring. While I occasionally enjoy Jack Black’s work in Tenacious D, I mostly just find him kind of annoying. What I’ve seen from Brutal Legend so far has been really promising though, and definitely more in the realm of JB’s character from Tenacious D. Also, the game is designed by Tim Schafer who has been responsible for some of my favorite games ever, and Brutal Legend is just dripping with his trademark style. The combat looks pretty stock, but there are apparently several different types of game going on here, including Pikmin style strategy. Long story short: Tim Fuckin’ Schafer. Want.

Tim Schafer is the coolest guy you know.

And that’s it for now! There are a few more but I grow tired of this. Check back soon for my PAX impressions wrap-up where I’ll discuss New Super Mario Bros Wii, the new Ace Attorney game, and probably a few more I forgot to mention in this post. Maybe tomorrow? Or the next day? Whenever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment